Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 2

I slept for 12 hours last night. 12 whole hours! I guess traveling for a day and half with minimal napping will do that to you.

Anyways, today was our first full day in Rome! One of our professors, Lisa, gave us a walking tour of the area near the UW Rome Center (basically we went in a giant circle around the Campo de Fiori) and pointed out all of her favorite places to go so afterwards we went and stocked up on bread, cheese, fruit, and all sorts of deliciousness to keep in our apartment.

We also tried out the first of many gelaterias around our apartment and it was quite delicious, but I doubt that any gelato around here would be not delicious. Our group of 24 students also took over the back room of a restaurant to watch the US/Slovenia soccer game but the power to the Campo went out about 40 minutes in so we sat confused in the dark for quite a while.

Regardless of that, my roommates and I attempted to cook dinner but discovered that only one burner on our stove actually works and our "quick" dinner plan ended up taking about 2 hours. The homemade pasta we bought was still good, it just took a ridiculous amount of time to boil the water to cook it in. Actually, the water never boiled but we were hungry and impatient and thus cooked it in non-boiling water. Hopefully our fantastic maintenance help guy, Enzo, will stop by tomorrow and help us out.

Overall, it was a very eventful day (I even got started on my HOMEWORK already! But I do have a presentation and a paper due next week, so I guess it's valid...) and I'm tired from all the sun, so it's time for bed soon. Tomorrow we have a free day so are going to explore the city and check out the sites we have to give our presentations on and probably eat more gelato.

Oh, and even though I've posted on this thing two days running, it's probably not going to be a daily occurrence, even though I'll try to be regular about it.

Also, I'm getting TAN ALREADY and it's only been a day! This bodes well for me.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed hearing about Day 2 - well done! I wish I could be walking in your footsteps, and eating all that gelato.
    Do they still run the ED trolley (for extraderma, which means taking the route of the old Roman wall. There used to be the red ED, which ran clockwise, and the black ED which ran clockwise. That was quite a few years ago, but I hope they stll run it, as it was a good sightseeing experience, and fun to watch how the Italian drivers performed. At that time, just about everyone drove a little beige Fiat, and we wondered how on earth they know which car was theirs. Also, there were no traffic lights, so it was each man for himself!
    I hope your maintenance man gets your stove up and running, but our general experience in Italy was that a lot of things didn't work, and almost everything was "retardo" (late)
    What will be the subject of your presentation? L n K Nanny

    ReplyDelete